Everyone has a dream job, whether it's to be a vet, doctor, lawyer, officer of some type, fisherman, trainer of animals or humans, animator, illustrator, pie seller...
Whatever it is, everyone has one...mine, well..
It took me a few years to figure out what I'm good at and now that the glaringly obvious is...finally apparent to me, I'm sticking to it like pone on plastic wrap (I hate pone btw)
My dream job is to become a phlebotomist.
*chuckles* alright so I heard that last night on the voice (I don't particularly like that show, but those judges were funny fighting over people lol)
Seriously though, I would like to be a *insert drumroll here*
Writer.
Yeah, really exciting I know...
But what's actually exciting is not getting any jobs in that area :/
Nada, zip, zilch, zero...minus nothing.
I do see positions, but like everything else, they want 50 years experience (how can I get experience if YOU DON'T HIRE ME, smh) so it's a big flop every time and I am stubborn.
I don't want to do something else to make money to do what I want to do, I want to do what I LOVE doing!
Why should I go and spend years (already wasted about four doing this, uh, steups) doing courses in things I only like to get a job that will only pay me two cents more than what's enough for a roti and a red solo five days a week???
I don't want to do that anymore, so I stopped and started studying something that will and has improved my writing (about now ya'll are like 'huh?' lol I'm referring to short stories and things like that :P) and I am enjoying my studying (don't ever try to quote me on that, I WILL deny it)
It's too bad though, that even though I'll have a certificate that says I can, I still won't be able to :/
I've heard of starving artists, writers outside of writerdom starve too..
What are your dream jobs? Anything out of the ordinary, like a large mammal vet? Or an astronaut? What dreams have you given up in the name of money and acceptance?
I wanted to own Cirque du Soleil so that I could be constantly entertained. I have not fully given up on that dream...
ReplyDeleteThat is certainly a cool job! I hope you are able to achieve that dream...Thank you for reading <3
DeleteMy dream was to be a flight attendant and boy was that a dream, have yet to reach the required height.
ReplyDeleteI wanted to be one too but I can't swim lol maybe you can learn to live in high wedge shoes? :) thank you for reading <3
DeleteIf you want to be a writer, you need to do two things: Read and write. Read more than you write. Read widely and deeply. Read critically. Read things outside of your comfort zone. Read the classics, and read contemporary.
ReplyDeleteAnd write every day. Even if it's one blog post or one page, write and practice every single day.
Studying or doing a degree in literature or any other humanities subject helps, but no one, absolutely no person, is a "certified" writer. The degree doesn't make you one.
Being a writer is not about having a job writing. It's about writing. Once your skills have been honed by years of immersion and practice, getting your work published will be less difficult.
I will endeavour to up the ante on the daily writing;
DeleteI do read a lot of rubbish and a lot of favourites along side my prescribed school readings but I do try to increase and vary what I read and recently what I write...
It's hard to filter my 'weirdness' out of things and make them more 'acceptable' and conforming to mainstream ideals :/ but, change will encourage growth and development... thank you for reading :)
Your weirdness is a strength. People often want unique voices, so don't filter it out. Build on it.
ReplyDeleteAnd there's one more thing I forgot to add: You need to live.
You need to have experiences, travel, meet people and escape your comfort zone. The best writers are able to draw from a wide variety of experiences, emotions and culture. So broaden your scope as much as possible, practice daily, and the writing will come.
I have recently developed the interest to try travel writing :) perhaps I will somehow be able to indulge in it this year, even if it's just Tobago; practice is practice.
DeleteHow did I miss this post? I think about this a lot. The first job I wanted as I child was hairdresser - there were 5 women in my house at the time. As a teen I wanted to be a teacher and I still want to eventually lecture in Graphic Design. I have 2 outlandish dream jobs, one is Beyonce's career coz she gets to be artsy on such a grand scale and the other is porn coz the only skill you need is to look good naked and u can hire a trainer for that LOL
ReplyDeleteI don't understand the sarcasm, to me writing IS an exciting career. Writing is one of the best fields to create your own career/experience these days. Like Kayode said in class, people are reading and writing more than ever now thanks to the internet.
Writing is exciting (and so is that porn career!! LOL) just it's tough when you live in a third world country, especially one that does not have adequate publishing services (mostly text books, smh, unless you know someone who knows someone) It is my end point so no matter how snarky I may be about it, I am going to make it happen...thank you for reading <3
Delete