Sometimes the most nerve wracking part of going on an interview isn't the interview itself, it's worrying that you're going to be judged incompetent because of your physical appearance.
The last 'interview' I went on wasn't at a place of reputable patronage so I did not expect to be scrutinized more than usual; upon arriving, the first lady took a few quick looks at my turtle neck sweater and I could see some gears grinding in that head of hers, smh..
The only problem (as it were) was the hours I'd have had to work but even though, again, I suspected the environment to be...one I had to try to acclimatize to, the environment itself was weary of me.
I've seen persons in work suits with eyebrow piercings (okay one woman, years ago) but I would have to imagine that she worked with/for family because I know that as 'open minded' and 'well learned' as people claim to be, if you have anything out of the ordinary about you whether it's a piercing, a tattoo somewhere, your hair goes at acute, obtuse and other angles or you're just too tanned you automatically become 'unfit' to do whatever the thing your degree/certificates say you can...
But why is that?
I wish I could find out what kind of thoughts go through a person's mind in that instance...
Have you ever had such an experience?
Do YOU look at a person and think they can't work with you because of some 'oddity' they may possess?
I admit, if a person is a raging idiot, I tend to think that I can't work with them (here I like to use the phrase: "I am not a medical doctor, I have no patients")
I think this goes for everything I will cover in the next few posts, from weight right on up (or down depending) so I would like to know what you all think, have seen/heard and experienced..
I hope you discuss some of your positive (and surprisingly pleasant) experiences based on your tattoos etc in future posts.
ReplyDelete