Sunday, 2 March 2014

Carnival and Bacchanal...

It's Carnival time again in Trinidad and Tobago...(that sounds like the beginning of lyrics to something, smh) and once again I am at odds with the place...

Why? Simply because

I Don't like Carnival.

Yes, you read that correctly.

I am not a fan of soca music, mud, oil or 'pretty mas'; if I could leave the country at this time (really two weeks before until two weeks after) I would.

It just isn't 'in my veins'; I feel no 'vibes' of any kind except to cover my ears and close my eyes to everything until it's over.

A lot of people (practically everyone I say this to) ask me if I'm really from Trinidad...-_-

Yes I was born here and grew up here but I don't like carnival; never been to a fete, never played mas with Tribe or Yuma etc:

Yes, I once went into pos on carnival tuesday and I went to soca monarch semis on a date (...*shudder* Worst. Date. Ever.) but I did not enjoy myself; I felt no euphoria, I felt no elation seeing made up ladies in beads and feathers or guys in shorts (and thongs :/) I felt no surge of splendour at hearing soca music blaring in my ears...

I just don't ever feel carnival.

It is not a part of my genetic makeup; this is one of the things that always makes me feel like a complete orange sheep (orange because there are naturally black sheepies, but orange? nuh uh) because I cannot relate to anyone and have to literally force myself to partake.

On top of that, the kind of weirdo I apparently, my idea of mas is a masquerade: everyone dressed and wearing complementing or contrasting masks...:/

Talk about off :/

Sigh...

How do you spend this time, do you play mas and party non stop?

Or do you hide away until it's over like I do?

I really can't fit myself into the 'carnival baby' mold...it just isn't for me.

5 comments:

  1. I am not a soca baby myself girl, I like to spend the holidays at home relaxing and spending time with loved ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed Candice, the 'ole noise' I can do without! lol thank you for reading <3

      Delete
  2. I usually go to camps around this time! but this year I just decided to stay home and get some school work done. I've never been to a fete or any other carnival events and I think I'll survive if I never go to one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol I must agree with you, although my morbid curiousity about fetes has been piqued of late (within the last two years) :/ lol thank you for reading <3

      Delete
  3. I grew up in church and spent most of my childhood outside of Trinidad so I didn't know anything about Carnival really until I was about 21. Over the last 10 years the artistic side of me has been drawn to the pageantry of mas and I finally played for the first time this year. I had a blast and I made sure to get a huge headpiece so I would feel like a real masquerader lol. I agree with u, I wish more people would put more focus back on the pageantry of mas instead of the revelry but wha yuh go do? My fave part of Carnival is really band launch season though. I love seeing the designs, themes, photoshoots and critiquing them.

    ReplyDelete