Thursday, 27 March 2014

LGBT, Labels And Other Thoughts...

You must be thinking: what does she know about this?

Well, what I'm going to talk about isn't breaking down the letters and explaining them, it's the social aspects and interactions of people, LGBT, in between, outside, inside and over yonder...

I don't know anything really, I believe that people should embrace and engage in everything that makes them happy; now, don't get me wrong: if you are mentally ill and enjoy harming people or animals, I'm not supporting that no way, no how.

I am referring to 'well balanced', run of the mill, everyday people (is that a song title/lyric??)

I am referring to anyone who is or is not, and not to anyone specifically...

You maybe a little confused: you may have thought I was going on to heavily promote or campaign for LGBT or against it..but I'm not going to.

For me, to label someone as LGBT is just that, labeling them; it's another form of stereotyping: another way to point/make someone stand out

To take them away from 'the group'.

And that isn't what I want, need or feel like doing.

I think that, or like to think really, that it would be easier (on everyone) if we all just saw each other as human and stop right there.

Pause**

What do I mean??

Well, why do we need to label someone as LGBT then become activist for their rights and all of that? 

Why do we need to label black people as minority and then they have to fight to be taken seriously?

Why label someone as disabled (I love that it is now differently abled btw) then treat them like they'll break if they sneeze?

And for every other supposedly non regular human, why the separation then pseudo reintegration into 'society' or whatever?

If we could all just stay human we wouldn't need all this hullabaloo, now would we?

Humans are always looking for ways to ostracize others for some kind of selfish, stupid purpose (like fame, money, recognition and ass...and silly things like that) 

And really, what is so different between an LGBT teacher and a 'straight' one, or a differently abeld one??

Will you not be able to learn from them because you aren't exactly like them in every possible way?

And, before you start quoting scripture, I dare say that the scripture says 'in His own likeness' so everyone on this planet...

Should be seen as one.

Think about it; have a drink of water, stretch your neck, go for a drive, whatever.

The world will keep moving and changing and maybe..maybe people can just be people sans(without) all the labels..

Let's go naked..

"I like to walk naked, naked I like to walk" (this old Ataklan song came to mind)

3 comments:

  1. I agree with you except for the part about labels. I, too, believe that we should be able to be, and be seen as, just human. The problem is that this is simply not the way the world is and lots of people already suffer discrimination or abuse as a result. The only way to solve a problem is to identify it and actively seek a resolution. In this case that means labels and activism.

    For a person who is LGBT (or black or female or differently-abled etc.), the label is not what makes him 'other'. He is already 'other'. A label simply affords him a touchstone from which to declare that his otherness does not detract from his humanity. For me the goal is that one day these kinds of labels will be nothing more than another facet of a person's identity rather tools that facilitate abuse or discrimination.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand what you mean, a label doesn't have to be a bad thing, just wish that it was not the focal point for negativity that it usually is... thank you for reading <3

      Delete
    2. Really well said, Dwight. Excellently put.

      I understand where Marina is coming from, but the reality is that these problems can't be solved by not talking about them. The goal shouldn't be ignoring differences. It should be acknowledging differences without discriminating.

      Delete