A time a back, I encountered a lecturer...
...like I never have before and do not EVER wish to meet again.
If they were the only person teaching the last course for me to graduate, I'd be in school for a very. Long. Time.
Let me be a tad more specific:
I have to do writing courses for my major and they taught it (alone at that time);
usually apprehensive of 'new lecturers' because you don't know their personality or their marking schemes, I was not impressed (to say the least) with all the bragging this one did as a bid to 'introduce' themself.
As the assignments began, the interaction seemed ok the first few classes, and of courses, the class became divided into loved and tolerated (guess what section I sat in :D);
***Pause
When we did things in class, you got some vague remarks from the lecturer and the other students also...
When the projects for course grade started, the shit not only hit the fan, it became an entity all its own.
There was supposed to be in class critiques, where everyone read and commented on each other's work; that only happened for the loved side of the class and not even all of them as it would take a while to just read through the work (some of them really needed to pay attention in Comm 117, smh).
Not to mention, every time you asked them how you were doing, they would say 'great, good work' but you never saw any indication of that...
As for the grades and feedback from the lecturer: that did not happen until days after the deadline for grade submission and everyone got below average marks; the explanation was that they were using their former institutions grade scheme (lies) and then all they did was bump everyone up 10-20 points so I went from a C to a B (not impressed)
The feedback was the worst part of it all because they gave no tips for improvement, just bashed your work, dismissed your ideas and you did not actually have the chance to fix it (as they said would be afforded after it was graded, smfh) so you were, well I was left, feeling disillusioned.
I did not want to write anymore.
I felt like I had produced and would only produce shit, because this MFA in creative writing wielding banshee, did not give my work any real and proper feedback.
Sigh
It still grinds my gears up to this time and I am wearily approaching my next writing course;
My classmates and I have all made clear that we will not be taking classes with that lecturer again (and I think after an entire classes complain, someone should listen) so the 'more advanced' class is being done by other people (praise the Lord)
It was an experience I do not wish to repeat (but I did, smh, in another class *rolls eyes* though thankfully not as severe, I missed out on an A, again, by a few points >:<)
And I wonder, so you have any horror stories of lecturers?
This one killed my dreams for a time, honestly; I did not even open my story docs for months afterward and I couldn't do the scripts for my boss, I was in such a state, smh...
But, I decided that, I'm not going to let some post colonial reject dampen my spirit;
I know what I am meant to do: WRITE and I WILL do it and I WILL KICK ASS...
And take a few names ;P lol
Share your school or work or family or friend(s) dream killers with me..
Well you know I feel your struggle with certain lecturers. I don't think they understand the impact they can have at times. (Maybe they assume we're not listening for some reason?? Which always blows my mind. If you think I'm not listening, maybe it's because you're not really paying attention to your students.) Anyways, I have a few 'family dream-killers'. Well not dream-killers per say but people that I actually let read my work. It's like I'm handing them this precious bomb I've been crafting for so long..and they read it..and I get "Yeah that's...nice." I'm always in shock like, "Don't you see the blood and sweat I put into this?" Sigh. But you shouldn't write for anyone but yourself. Lecturers..family members..whoever. If they don't get it, then they don't get it. Doesn't mean it's not good :)
ReplyDeleteI feel you on the family...I don't even bother because they laugh at EVERYTHING I do -_- smh...I write for me and for the few friends who like my style..thank you for reading <3
Delete